Year 5/6 Watkins/Moloney Welcome Blog

Hello all, and welcome to our class blog. It has been a great start to the year as we all get to know each other.

We have started learning about the Daily 5 Literacy program, and we have all set out goals for this term.

Our aim is to create a class that will be a space in which all can learn and develop, a place that welcomes visitors at any time. 

Penguins

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Year 5/6 Watkins/Moloney Welcome Blog

1. Lara H 5/6Ma says:

Your blog looks really interesting! Your class and my class do my FAVOURITE
    activities!
    Lara H,
    5/6Ma

2. Akon M :) :D says:

I love your blog its very intresting i hope your having a wonderful holiday

3. Alisha L. says:

Are we going to do fun activities, have an incursion just like we did last term about gold, but this is about the solar system, are we going to have an excursion to a solar system exhibition at museum?

• Mrs Watkins says:

I thoroughly enjoy finding out about the solar system. I learn new things every time I explore the system with my students. Did you know that as the Earth is spinning and also orbiting around the sun it travels about 30 kilometres every second? Yet we don’t feel that movement at all.

4. Lara H, 5/6Ma says:

Dear Mrs Watkins,

Hello! I hope you had a wonderful holiday! Tomorrow Group 2 ( OUR GROUPS! 🙂 )
    are going on Camp! Yay!!! Are you back yet?

From Lara H,

5. Vivian N says:

Your blog looks great so far, I love how each term you write a paragraph about wat we are doing. I can’t wait to do the space project.

6. San Nhi C says:

I really enjoyed camp because I learnt more about how people lived in the 1850’s.
    We got to experience what it would be like back then, I mostly enjoyed that we got to wear costumes. Also we had to say the alphabet backwards!!!

• Mrs Watkins says:

I agree, camp was great. How did you go with the alphabet?

• San Nhi C says:

Well, I did get mix up with the p and q, while I was saying the alphabet back wards. Also I enjoyed the planet paintings and the space pictures for which we used oil pastels.

7. Adrian S says:

Hey Guys! I’m looking forward to space!!

• Mrs Watkins says:

I too am looking forward to this topic. What do you already know about it?

• Adrian S says:

All i know is that the universe grows, Pluto is not a planet, the sun is a star and that if a star explodes it can make a little black hole.

8. Alisha L. says:

I am so excited about The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. I am also excited about the concert this term. I heard that Pluto used to be a planet. But a few years ago the scientists thought maybe Pluto shouldn’t be a planet because it’s too small.

9. William p says:

Why does the moon cover the sun ? I just don’t get that.

• Mrs Watkins says:

I’m not sure that the moon does cover the sun. I do know that sometimes is travels between the earth and the sun and then we don’t see all of the sun. When this happens we call it an eclipse.

10. Kevin says:

Dear Mrs Watkins,
    Your blog is beginning to look great.

• Mrs Watkins says:

Thanks, it gets even better when we can all add information and interesting comments regularly.

11. Alisha L. says:

I’ve heard that the sun has gravity the gravity keeps the planets in line.

12. William p says:

I know that the sun is the biggest star in space

13. Cynthia K says:

I’m enjoying the space topic this term! It’s been so fun lately, I literally loved doing the art work on space! My favorite part was the activity with using the shaving cream and the glow paint! 🙂

14. Alisha.L says:

what other stuff is there in the solar system? All I know is that ther are black holes, the planets, the sun, and the stars.

15. williamp says:

I’m loving the topic space! What are we doing for space?

• Mrs Watkins says:

Hopefully we will find out what makes the solar system a system by working out exactly how all the different parts work together.

16. Lara H says:

I went to Red Hill. I loved it! We had to learn our 17 times tables. This Principal came to check our class. Ma’am told him we were going to say our 17 tables. But I nearly laughed when he replied ” No, say your 16 times tables.” because we went and practiced our 17’s, then he says to say a different one!

I can’t describe how much I loved it!

• Mrs Watkins says:

I’m glad to hear you didn’t actually laugh! Imagine what Ma’am’s response would have been if you had.

17. Adrian S says:

What website can I go on about space? Also I really want to know how much is a light year. 😀

18. Alisha L. says:

What is a worm hole?

• Mrs Watkins says:

Good question. Can anyone help?

• Anna E says:

Well I don’t know what a wormhole is. Once when I was doing research of our space projects I did the one with the wormholes, black holes or a super twister. First I chose the wormhole but ended up doing black holes since the information for wormholes was too complicated and I didn’t understand much of it. I did read that we don’t know if wormholes actually exist.

19. kenny5/6ma says:

hi…… it is awesome :0

20. K-k-k-kristin is fabulous ;) says:

Hello!!!!
    I can’t wait to see what is next term’s topic. So far I have learnt a lot about space and it’s nearly the End of term 2!! The year goes so quickly. Anyway, learning about Gold and Space were amazing and I have learnt a trillion things.

21. Tina says:

Dear Mrs Watkins,
    I sometimes like learning about space and the solar system.
    Even I have a best planet it the world, it is Earth I choose it because we are in the planet Earth.
    Also some of the things I know is that the Sun is a star, and the Suns colour is yellow, Earth colours are green and blue, blue is for the water and green is the land,
    The colour of Mars is red I think that is all I know about space. 🙂
    Tina